Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pangaea

This is a subject that I have wanted to feature for a long time,but there is so much information,both pro and con that I wasn't sure how to approach it without it being to long,since what I like to do is just give enough information to whet your appetite,then if it interests you you can dig deeper on your own. So here it goes.
Pangaea (there are even several spellings) was a single land mass made up of all present continents,it is believed to have existed 300-200 million years ago. I am not clear if this theory has ever been proven for sure one way or another. Some fact in support of it are similar fossils are found on different continents shores suggesting they were at one time joined. Then there is the way when looking at a map of the world if you mentally make it into a jig-saw puzzle the continents seem to have been part of a whole at one time.
The only part of this theory I don't find fascinating is that it makes the existence of Atlantis seem less likely,which is another tale I am fond of.

1 comment:

  1. I have always thought the same - they do look like one big piece of land if you smoosh them all together.

    ReplyDelete